Sunday, May 29, 2011

More infilling

After a good period of putting in things via placeholder, working out quest states ans such, I needed to fill in things I'd been doing to allow Crimmor to take on more life of it's own, and match the visions I had for these areas and quests.


Screenshots of conversations aren't exactly interesting, but people always like area screens. Here in the first screenshot is one of the things I've been experimenting with, non-square areas. In the second we see Barmy Ben's Barreltorium, famous Crimmor-wide, one guess what Barmy Ben sells :-) . In the third is see some preliminary work I'm doing in one of the city Wards, dramatically lit at sunset. And finally a warehouse (every good rogue needs to sneak around in one, avoiding guards :-) ).

One of my Crimmor systems is a trigger that reduces hide in shadows skill while you are in it, placed where things are lit. So those lights in the warehouse a functional ingame purpose. I hope to get it expanded to allow a rogue to put out lights where relevant in order to preserve their ability to hide, but haven't done any work towards this yet.

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever played Thief or Thief 2 (which I am currently playing .... it takes me a while to get to play games. ;) )

    The gameplay in them is excellent and maybe there are one or two ideas in them to inspire other areas of gameplay?

    Lance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I loved both and played both on Expert (no killing). The Dark Engine used in those can do some things NWN2 can't, like the greater use of the z-axis, jumping etc. But there are some things I'm interested in implementing, like water arrows, and there is definite influence in Crimmor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting your skills up on the exteriors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kamal,

    Although I already have Thief 1 and 2, I just bought the compilation pack for £3.99, which comes with Thief 3! Available at Amazon if you are interested. :)

    The arrows are a good idea. :)

    Lance.

    ReplyDelete